There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Saturday, September 1, 2012

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Read Nineteenth on September 1, 2012.

This is one of those books that I read before I started this challenge. I loved it when I read it as a sophomore in high school, and I still love it as a freshman in college. I actually failed most of the reading quizzes for the book, though, but that was because I read ahead and couldn't recall what happened in chapter eleven when I was on chapter fifteen. Forgive me for being an over-achiever for ONCE.

These past three years I haven't quite figured out why I liked it so much. I've read my share of racial-injustice books and they just haven't appealed to me at all. After reading it the second time, however, I've realized that To Kill a Mockingbird is not about racial injustice. It's about growing up, and if you've read my earlier posts, you know that that is what I like most about books. Scout grows up. Her paradigm shifts. The lessons she learns from her father conflict with the beliefs of the rest of the town, and she must decide who to trust. To Kill a Mockingbird is about going beyond commonplace and doing what is right; not doing what is acceptable to society, but to God.

I tried to speculate what exactly the title means. There is, of course, the obvious reference when Atticus tells Jem and Scout that to kill a mockingbird is a sin because they do nothing to harm people, such as eat crops like the other birds. They leave people alone, and harming such a thing is immoral. At first, I related this to the trial of Tom Robinson. Tom was a good-natured man who was framed for a crime he did not commit, yet he was convicted and sent to jail because he wasn't white. He did no harm, yet he was attacked. This can definitely fit the title's meaning. But at the end of the book, Scout again refers to the mockingbird lesson to Mr. Tate's refusal to admit that Boo had killed Bob Ewell. He said that if he told the town that Boo had committed the murder, then he would immediately receive an unwanted spotlight, not for being a criminal, but for doing the town a favor and for saving two children's lives. Giving Boo the attention was something he did not want, and giving it to him would be, as Scout observed, the same as killing a mockingbird. I felt that whichever instance the title referred to, it would obviously be the main point of the book. But neither Tom Robinson's court case or Boo Radley was the main focus of the novel. To Kill a Mockingbird refers to the main theme of the novel: the idea of justice; the idea that hurting an innocent being is inexcusable; the idea that people who do no harm, whether it be Tom or Boo, deserve freedom, whether it be equality in the judicial system or the choice to be left alone.

Okay, so not all American literature is bad. Just a vast majority of it. 

1 comment:

  1. Fun fact about every last student I tutor: they don't LIKE to READ. Not a single one. Not even "fun" books like Harry Potter or The Hunger Games.

    (Hence, the need for tutoring, in my opinion.)

    Blogs about books give me a little more hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete