There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Monday, September 24, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

Read Twentieth on September 23, 2012.

Hm. Hmmmm.... Hm.

That about summarizes my thoughts on this book.

Let's see if I can make a coherent version of the impressions I got. A good friend of mine described her experience like this: "It was difficult, but I appreciated it." I don't think good literature necessarily has to be easy. Sometimes it has to be difficult. For me, it was difficult to understand the point. I have a clearer idea of the purpose, but it is still a little bit fuzzy. I think the point was to illustrate the limbo between childhood and adulthood. The main character, named Holden Caulfield, is around sixteen years old, and he has flunked out of about 27 schools (that's not accurate, but I don't feel like looking it up). He is pretty much against any kind of adult, claiming that they are all "phonies." Every person he meets that he doesn't like is a "phony." He reminisces about his childhood, about his dead brother Allie and about his little sister Phoebe. His best memories were when he was a child, where nothing seemed so fake. Every time he called someone a phony (and he did it A LOT) I couldn't help but think of how fake he was. Because every time someone was a phony, they were also a really swell guy, or a really nice guy, or a really good guy. He would seem to switch his opinions of someone in an instant. It could be that the book is a sort of flashback, and that his opinions had changed, or it could be that he was just as bad as everyone else. Even though he had all of these resentments about the "adult world," he couldn't stop complaining about how none of the bartenders would let him buy a drink because he was too young. And he smoked so stinking much. He wanted the privileges of an adult, but not the responsibility. I guess that isn't too hard to understand for some people. Nonetheless, Holden Caulfield is one of the most complex characters I have witnessed. Even he had no idea what he was doing half of the time.

And now to the part of the book I hated. Holden tells the story through his own words. He really did. He used the same phrases over and over again. Money was always "dough," and calling someone was always "giving them a buzz." It really was. Everyone was a "phony." I couldn't stand all of the little idiosyncrasies of his language - no kidding. I really couldn't. No kidding, he just talked like your typical jerk kid. He really did.  He really did. He really did. He said that all the stinking time. He really did. It's almost like everything he said had to be reinforced by that same structure: [noun] really [respective tense of "to do" or "to be"]. He really did. It annoyed the heck out of me. It really did.

See how annoying that was? Yeah. It was ANNOYING. It really w... Never mind. 

Oh, and insert a swear word before every single noun. If that bothers you, don't read it. I don't mind the occasional swearing because I think that sometimes, to convey the tone or mood that the author is trying to convey, it is appropriate. Not necessary, but appropriate. But none of the curses in this book were appropriate. They pretty much showed that Holden is a snot-nosed kid who thinks he's better than everyone else (and he thinks everyone else is a toolbag who thinks that they are better than everyone else). 

Needless to say, I'm eager to start on the next book...

No comments:

Post a Comment