There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom

Read Sixteenth on July 7, 2012.

The funny part about this is that in my last post I said that I envied those people who could spend all of their free time reading. I posted that this morning.

So I read this in less than a day. But it's a pretty short book and I had nothing else to do. So don't give me too much credit.

I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I read it today because it was picked by a handy little site that generates a random number that I found a couple of books ago. Every time I use it I pray that it doesn't pick "The Complete Works of Shakespeare," 'cause that's a heck of a lot of reading. But the Book Gods feel like being nice to me today, I guess.

As mentioned above, I finished reading my most recent book last night, which was Persuasion by Jane Austen. It definitely is strange to switch from a classic to a modern book. The premise in Persuasion was so generic. It was about a high-class girl in 19th Century England finding love. Not incredibly original. (By no means am I saying the book wasn't good. But reading the blurb about it on the inside cover just doesn't strike you as particularly interesting.) This one, being a more modern book, definitely makes you think, "Oh, wow! That sounds like a fun read! I should be disappointed if I never get to read this!" Maybe classic writers just never thought about things like an old, experienced widower's experiences in heaven. Or maybe today's society is more open and nurturing to creativity and originality than two hundred years ago. Whatever the reason, I am kind of favoring modern literature at the moment. (Let me amend that: I am favoring good modern literature. Twilight bites.)

Anyways, this was a really good book. The concept of heaven is really fascinating to me. In this setting, heaven is where a deceased person goes to reflect on his/her life and to discover "why [he/she] lived and what [he/she] lived for." The protagonist, a man named Eddie, had little insight to these things. To him, and probably to anyone who looks at his life at a glance, would say that he led a dull life of no meaning and/or impact on the lives of others. The lessons he learns through the five people he meets in heaven makes him see otherwise. I generally judge the books I read on profundity. The last quote in the book definitely made me think: "...each affects the other and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." Pretty powerful stuff, right there.

I have often remarked that American literature just sucks. Almost every book on the list is written by an English person. This book gives me hope for America. Very small hope...but hope nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment