There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Thursday, December 22, 2011

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

Read Seventh in November/December 2011.

This book is hilarious. The reason it's most funny is because no one in the book thinks anything is funny. Everything is serious, even the fact that Major Major Major's father named him so when he was born, but told his wife that his name was Caleb. When she found out that his named was in fact NOT Caleb, she died of heartbreak. When poor Major registered for the Air Force, the machine malfunctioned and ranked him as a Major; thus, his name is Major Major Major Major. According to the characters in the book, this has hardly any humor in it, which makes it so much funnier for the rest of us.

Major Major Major Major is not the main character, though. That was just an example of the style of humor that Heller employs. The story is about a man named Yossarian who desperately tries to escape flying. He is afraid of death and has hardly any brave or bold incentive to keep doing it. Yossarian is a coward and often runs away to the hospital to fake sick or to Rome on personal leave to quench his sexual appetite. Any rules of the Air Force that allow Yossarian to leave, he runs into a catch: Catch-22.

Again, the character arc. Of all of the characters in the book (which totals to at least 35), only two of the characters change (this is excluding those who change from living to dead). At the end of the book, Yossarian finds a way back to the States. But he sets his priorities straight and doesn't accept it. He does not want to screw over his other men and also doesn't want to encourage his sadistic officers in their ploys to gain rank.

Catch-22 is entertaining if you don't find much value in the literary aspect as I do. Every page has a paradox, irony, or something that will at least make you chuckle. If I had one thing to complain about, it would be its explicitness, especially in the Italian brothels. Great imagery, but maybe a little raunchy. I don't think I ever want to hear the words "seething cornucopia" ever again. Of course, your standards may be a little lower than mine, and if so, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment