There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Read Seventeenth on July 11, 2012.

My stupid method to pick a book at random has failed me...

Actually, at first, it didn't. I was very happy to find that it picked The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes as my next reading, but the library was closed. I then continued to pick random numbers until I found a book that my family owned. Then my method failed me.

I may have been a tad biased upon starting this book. My literature-savvy sister had told me that it was an embarrassment to good books. At first, I felt a little ashamed to say that it was rather entertaining. After reading it, I uphold that statement. It is entertaining, but that is it. For a list of historically-lasting books, this is not one of them. It is not profound or deep. It is what my former English teacher would call "fluffy." It had no outstanding literary merit. It sold lots of copies for being merely suspenseful and having cliffhangers at every one of the one hundred and five short chapters.

Some parts made me mad, though. Although it is not my own religion, Catholicism is a large part to the lives of many. It is definitely bold of Dan Brown to fictionalize the doctrine that so many people believe and trust. I can only imagine how much disdain I would feel if a book was released about false practices of the authorities of my own church. On another note, I whole-heartedly believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. (Sorry for getting all religious on you there. If you feel sick to your stomach, I won;t be offended if you decide to leave. This is a blog, however, and I have the right to voice my opinion. If you didn't know that about blogs, than I have little sympathy.) My strong faith in Christ is (unfortunately) not shared with many people. This denouncing of doctrine if, I believe, poisonous. Once the thought enters a person's mind about Christ being a mere mortal, it might never leave. This is something that I have a small amount of contempt for.

Yes, I know, Dan Brown had a good idea of a story and it was attention-getting. I realize that it is fiction, but fiction that is substituted for such a strong belief of billions of people is not to be endorsed by me.



Note: I previously stated in my last post that my hope for American authors was rising. Correction: it is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment