There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Read on January 18, 2012.


"It's a small story really, about, among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery...."

I know, I know. I'm reading more books that aren't on the list. Can't a man indulge himself every once and a while?

In case you're wondering: Yes, a cute girl asked me to read this one, too. The same one, in fact.

She has some extraordinary taste, though. I believe she described it as "life-changing." Indeed, it was very good. The only way I can think of that accurately describes my reaction to it, although it may be slightly inappropriate, is that I had a nerdgasm. Especially after I read the prologue. I feel like the book kind of dampened as it went on, though. I began to realize that even though the narrator got all hot and stuffy about the story, I don't think it lived to the expectations that he set. (I'm trying to be conscientious of those who haven't read it. The narrator's identity, I thought, is the best part about the book. This may seem odd as it never really is the case in most books, nor is it the case that the narrator's identity has much of a dramatic effect on the story that it is telling.)

Maybe that will spark some interest in you to read it. It's a wonderful story. That being said, it's time to be picky. The author uses quite a lot of [insert term regarding the intentional misattribution of senses - the name of which I have forgotten - here]. Sometimes it can be effective, such as "tasting the scent of the glorious flapjacks" or "feeling the banjo music creep down the spine". But I remember (I'm too lazy to actually look for the exact line) the author describing a particular sensation that the protagonist was experiencing as "tasting the sounds of the accordion." Of all of the senses, auditory and gustatory? That just doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm a silly philistine who has never felt such when listening to music, but I doubt it. It makes me think of a sign my English teacher has with a red octagon reading "TOO FAR" on it when we discuss and analyze literature.

But every book has its flaw, and I won't let them ruin it for me. I enjoyed the book. Well, maybe enjoyed is the wrong word considering the amount of pain and death the book entails. Let me amend myself. It was very moving; the depth of the book is enthralling and entrancing and will not be a waste of your time.

I just hope that they don't make a movie about it. The structure of the book is definitely not meant to be cinematized. Keep your fingers crossed, people. 

1 comment:

  1. Zusak has a way of wording ordinary things that makes them special and wonderful. I found myself rereading sentences over and over because I loved how he crafted them. I was enthralled even when the plot dragged slightly, but I'm a nerd too, so there you have it.

    I think the word you're looking for is synesthesia, by the way. And I liked the auditory and gustatory. Not that I've ever tasted music, so much, but I felt that Liesel wanted to experience her father's music so much that she was straining every one of her senses to capture those moments. Sometimes he went a little too far, it's true, but his writing style is so unique that I didn't often mind when he went on a limb. Also, I have to say that I love it when authors can communicate in the voice of a child without writing childishly. It's difficult to do.

    I really hated "I Am the Messenger", though, but I can't say why because I would be giving the plot away.

    ReplyDelete