There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien


Read Second in February/March 2011.

Usually the common theme among book-based movies are that the books are always better. With these books, I disagree.

The movies were way better. Tolkien, I thought, lacked character development. I felt that if I were to read the books first, I would not have known anything about the characters' personality, except for the most crucial ones like Frodo and Sam. Anyone who has read them would agree with me that a lot of the descriptions of their journey can be a little dry. It was especially difficult to get through The Fellowship of the Ring when hardly any action had started and they spent many pages and much of my time walking through a forest. However, I did like reading them. It's a good story and a good plot line, but I'm afraid that the writing style did not meet my expectations. It's a shame.

And action scenes like the massive sieges really are more enjoyable when seen.

I felt a little played when I saw that entire series as a single number on the list, which means I have to read more than 100 books. But Tolkien meant for The Lord of the Rings to be one book, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment