There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry--
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll--
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul--

-Emily Dickinson


November, 2010. This is when I had an epiphany that I knew nothing about literature. What exactly prompted this revelation, I don't remember. But what I did after that was print off "BBC's Top 100 Books" list in order to expand my horizons. (Although I'm aware that there are plenty of books omitted from the list, as well as new books constantly being published, this is intended simply to help me be acquainted with literature.) I challenged myself to read all of the books on the list. One year later, I've realized it will take much longer than expected. With only 7 of the 100 books read, this task seems daunting and unrealistic. While some may think it's somewhat masochistic, some may think it's an admirable goal. I guess it depends on the book I'm reading. Frequently I'll read a book that is not on this long list. I used to apologize for it, but I'm assuming hardly anyone reads it anyways.

I started by critiquing the books and authors, but the purpose for writing has changed over the years. The purpose of this blog isn't necessarily to write reviews for the benefit of high school procrastinators or for eagerly researching book-readers or for really anyone besides me. It's a documentation of my own progress as a learner and a reader, as well as being wonderfully cathartic. Books elicit an emotional response, which allows me to explore my own beliefs about life and spirituality.

As of Sunday, June 21st, 2015, I have read twenty-six books on the list. This is hopefully subject to change, and will be updated regularly...or more accurately, as regularly as I finish a book, which isn't always regular.


Saturday, July 7, 2012

Persuasion - Jane Austen

Read Fifteenth on July 6, 2012.

You may have been expecting a new book sooner since it is now summertime and I (thankfully) do not have school to intervene in my reading pursuits. However, I have started to work forty hours a week and sometimes, when things are busy, sixty hours a week. In my defense, I love getting paychecks. 

Before I start, I would like to appeal to those reading fiends that might be reading this. I have a friend who, when asked the question of how her week was, said, "Oh, it was good. I read three new books." Well, I thought reading one book in a couple of weeks was progress! So this challenge is only difficult for me, apparently. So, reading fiends, I ask that you do not view me as an ignorant wanna-be who pretends to be smart. I will admit, regrettably, that sometimes I just don't feel like reading (GASP). So those of you who can literally spend an entire week reading, I certainly envy you and that talent.


Moving on! Persuasion was your typical Jane Austen book. And by that I mean pretty good. What is it about, you ask? Well, there's a girl who has a sort of summer fling not dissimilar to that in Grease. Very dissimilar to Grease, however, it was at the beginning of the 19th Century. This lovely woman, persuaded by a mother-figure (her own has passed away), ends the relationship because he has no fortune. Fast-forward eight years. They meet again! Neither of them lost the love they had before, but the dude was all like, "Man, she broke my heart!" and she was like, "Oh, he hates me because I broke his heart!" and he was like, "She doesn't like me anymore! Woe is me!" Okay, maybe not quite like that. I won't spoil the end for you, but it really is kind of obvious. You may be thinking, "Oh, that sure sounds interesting. I would just love to spend my time reading that," but maybe with less sarcasm. In response, let me share a quote by W. Somerset Maugham:
Nothing very much happens in her books, and yet, when you come to the bottom of a page, you eagerly turn it to learn what will happen next. Nothing very much does and again you eagerly turn the page. The novelist who has the power to achieve this has the most precious gift a novelist can possess.
 'Nuff said.

P.S. - I would like to point out that I'm pretty much in love with any of Austen's characters. Why? Because I've dated dumb girls before. Bad idea. Here's my advice to you, whoever you are: find a partner who is not dumber than you are. It's the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment